Announcements + Project Updates
August 6, 2020:
Following presentation to, and feedback from, the York County Council, the FINAL Zoning and Subdivision Codes Assessment has been prepared. The document can be downloaded by clicking here.
July 21, 2020:
The Zoning and Subdivision Codes Assessment was presented to the York County Council on July 20, 2020. A video recording of the presentation is available to view by clicking here.
What is Recode York County?
Recode York County is an initiative to review, update, and realign York County's Zoning and Subdivision Codes to better reflect the current and future development context in the county. The revised land use and development ordinances will be updated to implement the policies and goals of 2035 York Forward, the County's adopted Comprehensive Plan, as well as associated small area plans.
Other goals of the process include:
- Modernizing the Codes to incorporate current best practices
- Making the Codes more user-friendly, with additional graphics and a more intuitive organizational structure
- Improving consistency between the Codes and related County ordinances, standards and regulations
- Enhance the predicatbility of development outcomes
- Permit flexibility, where appropriate
- Eliminate barriers to development that is consistent with adopted plans
The process is being led by the York County Planning & Development Services Department, with oversight by the York County Council and the York County Planning Commission. The public, and all interested stakeholders, will have opportunities throughout the process, which is scheduled to conclude in September 2021, to provide input into the code rewrite and review and comment on draft regulations. Project updates, work products and notices for public meetings will be posted on this website, as well as the Recode York County Facebook page.